+ Reply to Thread

Default I just compared A&P pay to other careers-Ouch!

I'm will be at the bottom of the pay band and knew that going into it, and on a second career but from what I've read, the wages are going down. Couldn't find a great salary comparison but Salary Expert was the best I found and in some places a CNA certified nurses aid was quite close to A&P. Nothing against a CNA, which is well below a LPN, but well, compare the training and skills needed. Technology is usually the one thing that keeps wages high and raises the bar for entry into the field. Half the A&P schools are gone since 9/11, what is that telling us? Is all mx soon to be done overseas? Will theses no background check, no drug-screen, no A&P folks soon be over here doing even more work? I think we all knew the 100K jobs at the majors were gone but this is sad. There's a lot more to kids not wanting to become an aircraft mechanic, the pay future seems weak and declining. Some repair facilities are already bring over A&P's from other countries, I don't believe licensing them here but just using them as "99%" helpers for cheap pay. Where and how does this decline in the industry stop?

Quote Originally Posted by flyted View Post
    Some repair facilities are already bring over A&P's from other countries, I don't believe licensing them here but just using them as "99%" helpers for cheap pay.
    where did you find this?

A guy I interviewed at Boeing with works at the Bridgeport,WV facility doing C&D checks on RJ's and he said they hire filippino's with A&P's from their country, don't license them here, have them do 99% of the work and have a A&P here do the sign-off. A major reason he wanted to leave as he wasn't given time to check the 99% of the work he didn't do but would ultimately be held accountable for if something happened.

When you love what you do it is not like going to work. I could be making less money doing something that I dont like doing

You are 100% correct. I did exactly that for 25 years in my first career. It was a gift.

Default Aviation maintenance

According to May 2010 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates United States

Median hourly $25.68
    Mean hourly $25.62
    Mean annual $53,280

Looks like a normal distribution (mean and median so close).
    Consider starting wages of $10-15, top pay in the $33 an hour range and you get the picture (I hope)

Please consider that many in our field work for major airlines, so many of those live in major metropolitan areas where wages are inflated a bit due to increased cost of living. With any discussion on pay, you must consider cost-of-living. There are several websites that allow you to compare pay by locale.

+ Reply to Thread