+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Clear Lake would be Sacramento (SAC) and the inspector was Don Green now retired and living in Florida. I used to cover Santa Rosa air show, Healdburg balloon, Fleet Week SFO and the Myth Buster a lot. I still work with the Myth Buster providing information behind the scenes.

I just found out Oakland is hiring 7 new inspectors, the office went to hell when everyone retired and no back fills. I was asked to stay two extra years which I did then retired. This past July was a huge retirement for the FAA lots of us left before the new changes went into affect. Lot of knowledge just walked away.

STS airhow was fantastic, first time I ever saw night time aerobatics. Used to stop at that nearby town that had the garlic festival on the way home. The tear I left I think is still the record year ever for us atc types. The agencies master plan was to have all these folk from the closed fss just walk in and take over. Some had never worked traffic, most had failed training programs decades ago and none had worked live traffic in probably at least a decade. Except at the very slowest of facilities, over 80 either quit, retired or took a consolidated fss or Lockheed-Martin job. We told them for years it wouldn't work. I had mandatory 6 day work weeks for the last 2 1/2 years, there were 17 different shift start times and it was a 24 hour facility. Vacation time you had to pick 9 months in advance was canceled at the last minute, every day of SL was wrote up and yet the agency kept telling the media, don't worry these guys wont leave. They lost like 754 the year I went. Its common now for new hires to finish classroom and sit for 6 months because there is no one to train them. I was heavily involved in new technology for the field and saw hundreds of millions wasted w/o once piece of new stuff ever making it to the field. Only a house cleaning from the top down will ever change this dinosaur of an agency. Out of the people I once worked with, at least 80% have left, like rats off a sinking ship, even in this economy. QOL is much more important. Last time I visited some of the west coast FSDO where I use to know all the POI and PMI's, there was only 1 or 2 that were still there. NextGen is/will be the next waste of billions. Not because it can't work, but because it will be mismanaged into the ground. The HQ press releases are already being printed up to explain why its years behind, not working and over budget. Who would have guessed.

If I have learned one thing about the government in all my years is if they are pushing something it has a problem already. I have been through every quality system in the government that was suposed to fix the problem, but never did. NextGen is the same way. Until the root cause is determined and fixed the government will keep throwing our money in the black hole and justify it for safety. Wouldn't it be nice if the upper management would have some of the old salts back to really explain the problem and how to fix it. One can only dream...But the government has its programs (welfare) for at least half of the people working in government. I can only speak for the area I have worked in and 30% of the workers did 100% of the work while the others smoked, drank coffee, and BS'd all day then complained about being under paid and over worked. I shouldn't ramble on here the government was very good to me, but I earned what I got it wasn't given to me. However to this day dead beat government workers still up set me and I think they should be FIRED. This is where I had a problem with the government unions, but that is another story.

Having said all the above I do beleive the FAA is a necessary evil and aviation should be regulated as it is. Only because the FAA has set standards, aviation is safe today and we can rely on the mechanic, pilots and other who maintain and operate aircraft because of those standards

Wow guys.....please don't take this too seriously, but if I didn't know better, I would surmise your career's, experiences and frustrations mirror those of the AMT ( especially GA, 145 & Corporate) to a tee. Except of course the elevated salaries and retirements.

Anyways, welcome and we look forward to your contributions.

PS...you'll learn to appreciate Bubba. If he doesn't get feed regularly he gets pretty gnarly.
    Last edited by Tnplanedoc; 08-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Triplanedoc- I agree, the faa is a pretty good gig and in many ways as far as a career is so much better than private. There never really seemed to big a big influx of people who were begging for FSDO or faa jobs. Stache can probably expand on that, so some things had to be better in the field than working at a fsdo. Atc was an exception mainly because of the pay. There was also a 40% failure rate in OKC training and another 20-30% failure rate during the next couple years of on the job training not to mention the constant rotating shift work, only 8 hours between some shifts days off moving around every month, working almost every holiday and weekend, the OT, the security clearance and medical you had to maintain and all the sudden those that thought this was a cake gov't job, didn't think so any more. But your right the pay/benefits on average are much better. The level of BS? I'm sure there are worse, but some stuff you just couldn't make up it was so stupid. I'm sure Bubba is a good guy and like I said, he knows more about mx than I ever will. Sometimes things just translate differently on line than if you were talking in person. He has responded helpfully yo my post in the past and I hope he continues to do so in the future. I can see that he has helped a lot of folks on here, its all good.

Stache- The agency as you know didn't get the "tombstone technolgy" mantra for nothing. I was heavily involved with the controller labor organization and have mixed feelings. We were always paid enough in my opinion, safety issues however were almost never addressed unless they were forced to. We used to have a form called UCR "unsatisfactory condition report" that dealt with unsafe issues that management never found on their own. This form had a great paper trail that made the agency deal with issues. They finally got embarrassed so many times by employees documenting things management is being to be paid to do and wasn't, they decided that management was so good at seeing these issues and fixing them before anyone else ever saw them, they eliminated the safety program. As far as firing federal employees, if you are a minority in a non safety related job, too many offices will stop that from ever happening. If however you are in safety related position, it does happen, not as often as it should, I think about 5% should be gone tomorrow. The rules are in place to get rid of bad employees and always has been, the issue is how piss poor managements performance is in ever applying the rules uniformally. I was in mid-level management in our labor organization and can count the # of grievances I ever filed on 1 hand, I solved issues by working through them finding a win-win solution. I spent as much time in AWP regional offices as you I'm sure and their #1 labor HR guy admitted that when management screws up, they promote him, employees, punishment and its true, never changed in all my years. Zero accountability for management. If we forced them into discipline for a supe and say he got 2 weeks off w/o pay, guess what, 6 months later management gave him a 2 week time-off-award. That never once happened with a controller. Unions had a place a long time ago and in some places still do, places with decent management don't vote for unions as they don't need them and I say good for them. Shouldn't need them in the faa either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3