+ Reply to Thread

Default Cessna 421B crash at Palwaukee

Sadly, one of my former customers perished in a fatal crash at Palwaukee Airport (PWK) near Wheeling, IL Monday night. Ken Knuteson, owner of The Sybaris Clubs, was apparently flying right seat in his 421B, which crashed 1/2 mile from PWK returning from Olathe, KS. Mark Turek, an experienced local pilot, was listed as PIC. The aircraft was caught on video by a security camera and exploded on impact. The video could be seen at www.chicagotribune.com; I saw it on Chicago ABC Channel 7 news. Our shop did some radio work for Ken last summer, before that I hadn't seen him for a number of years. Ken was a heck of a great guy, always had a joke or a great story. He was the one that hung the \"Captain Kirk\" thing on me. There are a lot of rumors & speculation flying about; I won't repeat any of it unless I know it to be fact. I'll update as I hear it. Right now, there is no known cause; PWK tower had cleared them to land a minute prior to impact and no mention had been made regarding any kind of problems. This information from today's News-Sun.

It was one of those nights where there was occassional freezing rain and sleet. I wonder if icing might have been factor.

gnapert Guest

Default Crash

Sorry to hear this was a friend of yours Captn.

Speculation is premature - but the aircraft looked intact in the video.

I also know there are ADs on the spar - but I think a missing wing would have been obvious.

We'll keep an eye on the investigation.

There was some icing reported; I don't know the extent. The plane did appear intact, NTSB has reported at least one engine was running. Funny thig is, ATC cleared them for landing and no problems reported.

According to my boss, there is now some speculation that one engine may have been out(?) Whether or not it's true, and which engine (critical?) remains to be seen.

As in most crash investigations, there is a flurry of activity, rumor and speculation followed by a long period of silence.....until the NTSB report comes out, sometimes years later. Speaking to an anonymous FAA official, speculation at this point is that it was a stall while turning final, either due to too low of an airspeed and/or ice accumulation. There is no indication at this point in time of an engine-out problem or icing. And that's probably all we'll hear until the NTSB report. I'll keep you all in the loop.

+ Reply to Thread